Saturday, March 1, 2014

How will you prepare?




40 days is a long time, however it gives us all time to reflect, pray and change our hearts.  I challenge us all to do something this year that truly makes a difference.  As young children we may have given up candy, gum etc.  Still as adults some of us are giving up candy and gum.  Let us all find ways to make this lent one of true giving to the Lord.  Here are some suggestions of ways we might make our lent one of true sacrifice and love.  

Maybe you have not been to reconciliation in a long time so you will promise to go.
You will attend stations of the cross.
Pray the rosary daily
Attend daily mass
Go to a soup kitchen
Feed my starving children
Visit residents in a nursing home
Do one random act of kindness a day
If you are a computer or tv junkie turn it off 
practice patience while driving
take more time with your family
send a card or letter to someone often


Honestly, whatever it is you might do should cause you to reflect and remember what our Lord has done for us.  One of the things I do is each time I do something I have promised for lent, I say a prayer for someone in my life that needs praying.  This becomes a constant reminder for me to think of people other than myself and my sacrifice.  Let us all try to fast and abstain from things that cause us to stay away from God and act in ways that bring us closer to Him.  I have made a habit of listening to only the rosary or christian music when I am in the car.  I started this years ago during lent and have continued it as a practice in my life.  Each of us knows what are greatest strengths and weaknesses are according to the Lord.  This lent let us all work on giving and praying in ways that is unlike any lent we have had in the past.  I pray for you and ask that you do the same for me.  

Blessings for a lent that truly brings you closer to our Lord.

"As Lent is the time for greater love, listen to Jesus' thirst...'Repent and believe' Jesus tells us. What are we to repent?  Our indifference, our hardness of heart.  What are we to believe?  Jesus thirsts even now, in your heart and in the poor -- He knows your weakness. He wants only your love, wants only the chance to love you."  -Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

No comments:

Post a Comment